This page lists sustainable practices that hotels can implement.
1. Switch to low-flow toilets.
2. Buy office and guest amenity products that contain recycled material.
3. Consider installing skylights if needed.
4. If your hotel has a restaurant, consider transitioning it into a Certified Green Restaurant.
5. Replace mowed landscaping with native ground cover.
6. Replace exit signs with Light Emitting Diode (LED) exit signs.
7. Buy previously used products whenever possible.
8. Donate leftover guest amenities, old furniture and appliances to charities.
9. If available, schedule an energy audit through your local energy provider.
10. Conduct a water audit.
11. To reduce water use, consider rainwater harvesting.
12. To reduce operational costs, water and energy consider installing an ozone laundry system.
13. Come up with creative ways to reward hotel guests for being green.
How to Tip a Hotel Maid
While tipping a chambermaid is not obligatory, it's a nice gesture. Instructions:
1. Tip a maid $3 per night in an upscale hotel, $1 per night in other hotels.
2. If you're not satisfied with the job the maid does, don't tip him.